You’d think — with all their high-minded blather and outright lies about sex, love and the “sanctity of marriage” — that conservative Christians would be pretty good at keeping a marriage going. But, just like all of mankind’s made-up religions, you’d be wrong.
The Barna Research Group … studied divorce rates in America in 1999 and found surprising evidence that divorce is far lower among atheists than among conservative Christians.
- 21% of atheists have been divorced
- 21% of Catholics and Lutherans have been divorced
- 24% of all non-born-again Christians have been divorced
- 24% of Mormons have been divorced
- 24% of nondenominational, independent Protestants have been divorced
- 25% of all American adults have had at least one divorce
- 25% of mainstream Protestants have been divorced
- 26% of people in the West have been divorced
- 27% of born-again Christians have had at least one divorce
- 27% of people in the South and Midwest have been divorced
- 29% of Baptists have been divorced
Better yet, the South Eastern United States — the “churchiest” part of the country — has the highest divorce rates. Yeah, I’m looking at you Tennessee, Arkansas, Alabama and Oklahoma.
It seems that your holier-than-thou conservative Christians don’t hold a candle to even liberal Christians (let alone atheists) when it comes to providing a solid basis for marriage. So maybe they should worry less about atheists and gays destroying their noble institution and more about their own peeps.